People from across the globe
Membership of the BHI is not restricted to UK nationals. However, there are one or two practical issues associated with taking in members from outside of the UK; issues which the Institute tries its best to address and overcome.
The BHI always welcomes applications for associate membership from non-residents of the UK.
The Institute cannot guarantee its ability to offer accredited status to non-residents of the UK. This is because, unfortunately, we cannot always gauge accurately whether or not the horological credentials of an overseas applicant will meet our published accreditation standards; and it is simply not cost-effective for the Institute to try to attempt to investigate the standards of every comparable institution or awarding body in the world. However, we do guarantee to consider each application on its individual merits. For more information on upgrading you should contact the Institute directly.
The overseas supplement
All overseas members pay an annual supplement on their membership fees which is designed to cover the extra costs of international postage (primarily for The Horological Journal).
Benefits of individual membership
As a BHI member, you profit exclusively from a variety of special benefits. They include the following.
– You receive free monthly copies of The Horological Journal, with news, learned articles, detailed studies and technical updates.
– You have privileged access to the collection of clocks, watches and other timepieces of the BHI Museum Trust.
– You have the advantage of being able to consult the BHI library and archives.
– You can take part in education programmes and attend training courses, seminars and forums.
– You are able to buy the BHI distance learning course and work directly with qualified tutors.
– You can sit examinations that lead to recognised professional qualifications in clock and watchmaking.
– You are part of a worldwide organisation of like-minded people with opportunities for local, regional, national and international contacts and support.
For more information about individual membership, which is reasonably priced, please contact Zanna Perry, +44 (0)1636 817603 or firstname.lastname@example.org or download the registration form here and return it to us.