Job Title: Cataloguer, Online Sales
Reporting to: Head of Department
Location: 34-35 New Bond Street, London
Overview of the role:
Responsible for managing and conducting the cataloguing process for Watches online sales. Support new business generation and the authentication, cataloguing, sale coordination, and sale of property to meet sales and net profit targets.
1. Cataloguing and Research
- Cataloguing and researching items for online Watches sales:
– Providing expertise, researching and cataloguing objects to the highest standard according to scheduled deadlines
– Assisting and co-ordinating research, both internally and with external experts and manufacturers
- Writing catalogue entries. Writing condition reports and responding to photo forms, estimate enquiries and general correspondence.
- Assisting with the maintenance of departmental archives.
- Work with the Administrators and Registrar, providing accurate information on all consignments and assisting them with the Inventory review and stock control.
- Producing comprehensive condition reports and responding to all client enquiries regarding the property for sale.
2. Sale Production and Auction
- Involvement in all aspects of sale production and distribution including:
– Communicating and managing the online sale production timeline
– Ensuring that all photography is coordinated and completed in a timely manner
– Liaising with Business Director and other support departments throughout the entire production process
– Participate in selling the sales and pre/post sale enquiries
3. Sale Preparation & Marketing
- Assisting with planning and organising the exhibition of pieces during the sale.
- Managing Watch viewings in London.
- Liaising with the Marketing team to promote online sales in collaboration with the Head of Department for Watches.
4. Client Services and Expertise
- Managing day-to day client enquiries by email and by telephone.
- Providing a comprehensive level of service to Sotheby’s clients e.g. providing exemplary levels of service both verbally and in written communication, responding swiftly and accurately to estimate enquiries, photo forms, and general correspondence.
- Organising private viewings when requested.
Preparation of proposals and valuations, working closely with the respective departments.
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism and effective communication with colleagues.
- Operating at all times in accordance with the company’s rules on compliance and corporate governance.
- Inventory management including effective organisation of consignments entering the department, aged inventory projects, etc.
Skills / Competencies / Experience:
- In depth market knowledge and awareness.
- Functional working knowledge of the whole auction process and related procedures (e.g. shipping regulations, etc.)
- Proven business acumen and a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, and a commitment to an exemplary level of client service.
- Be able to demonstrate the capacity to take responsibility in order to ensure that the department functions effectively and efficiently.
- Written and spoken fluency in English is essential; fluency in another European language is advantageous.
- Be self-motivated with a proactive approach and enthusiasm to learn.
- Be a team player with a co-operative attitude and a willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks.
- Good organisational skills with proven ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Flexible and receptive to change.
Please apply to: Recruitment.EU@sothebys.com